Monday, July 21, 2008

Let's make a Square card

My friend Nancy said to me to make something to show her now that I have subscribers. So for my first tutorial we're going to make a square card with a super quick background.




I'm also going to show you an easy way to color images in on glossy card stock. So to get started you need to cut your 8 1/2 x 11" sheet of card stock at 4 1/4 instead of your usual 5 1/2. Fold it in half and set aside. These are the supplies you will need.



Take a piece of glossy card stock and 2 colors of chalk ink. Rub the lightest color all over the card stock. Just take the pad and drag it across. Then take the darker color and go around the edges and in towards the center a little. You want the center light.



Rub your embossing buddy all over the piece. Stamp your image with Versa Mark and sprinkle with embossing powder. I used Pirates Gold by Stampendous. It's a nice gold color but it isn't a shiny gold. Shake off the excess and emboss.



Now we're ready to color in the image. I love the distressed inks and they work really well for this technique.



Using your finger daubers start coloring in your image. The lighter you pounce the lighter the color so you can shade without using a lot of different colors. Don't worry about going over the edges. You need a little shadow and if you get a color where you don't want it just go over it with the first color. Say I got green on my yellow. I just take the yellow and rub over the green. It will remove it.



Next I took this handy dandy little tool I have had for years and never knew what to do with till I played with it one day.
Using a brown color pounce all over the card stock. Don't have one of these little gadgets use an old tooth brush and flick the ink over the image.



Now I used my Cuttlebug and a large Square Nestabilities to cut out my squares but you can cut them out however you want. The squares are 3 1/2" each. You will need 2 different colored card stock squares that match your image. My card is Pumpkin Pie and my 2 squares are So Saffron and Wild Wasabi. Lay one of the squares at the top of your card matching top corners. Lay the second square matching the bottom corner and your image goes on top.





Now embellish. I added some bling. I hope you liked this project. Let me know what you think and I would love to see your cards if you try it out. Don't worry about a special envelope. This card will fit right into your standard 4 3/8 x5 3/4 envelope.

2 comments:

Peggy M. said...

Hey Pat,

Thanks for the tutorial. Looks nice, sounds simple!
Peggy

Norma Gwen Watson said...

wonderful card!